Friday, January 4, 2008

A New Year "doing less!"

To spare you all my New Year's resolutions I thought I'd just post this quote that has hung on my fridge for the last 3 months. As I thought about the changes I would make this coming year, this quote seemed to encompass so much of what I'd like to improve upon. Of course, there are the usual, healthy eating, weight loss, consistent FHE... but the task that weighs on my mind the most is mothering. Sis. Julie Beck shared this thought in October 2007 Conference. Her comments caused quite a stirring among some members of the church. Some found her talk old-fashioned and suppressing. I did not. I have to say many times I have left church meetings feeling riddled with guilt and despair, but surprisingly I found her words motivating, inspiring, and spot on for all mothers today.


" Mothers who know do less. They permit less of what will not bear good fruit eternally. They allow less media in their homes, less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from their home. Mothers who know are willing to live on less and consume less of the world's goods in order to spend more time with their children- more time eating together, more time working together, more time reading together, ore time talking, laughing, singing, and exemplifying. These mothers choose carefully and do not try to choose it all. "

- Sis. Julie B. Beck


Of course Brett loves the part where Sis. Beck said "mother's who are willing to live on less." Yeah, can't say I'm asking for a pay cut:) If you read the talk it doesn't say be barefoot and pregnant all the time, uneducated, and poor. I think Sis. Beck's intent was simply to help us remember what's most important!

8 comments:

An said...

This was a bold talk. After listening to it, I thought how easily I could have been offended by it, or hurt, or discouraged. I was surprised that instead of these feelings, the talk made me feel inspired. Although I believe I am a mother who "knows", I am far from the woman Julie Beck described. So very far. But she was describing the kind of woman that I want to be, and her words motivated me. The quote you chose was one of my very favorites. Thanks for posting about it.

megan said...

Man...you post the best quotes!!!!!

Dawn said...

great ideas, even better intentions...good luck this year. I hope you can simplfy!

Anonymous said...

You are so amazing. I love you, and I wish you the best on your New Years' Resolution. 2008 is an opportunity for us to try to get it right. But ya know what, if we don't completely conquer our resolutions, at least we tried....ya know? I was thinking about that the other day, that an effort is all it takes, and if conquering it happens along that road of effort, then that's even better. Kind of like how on earth we don't have to be perfect, but live life, and make the effort....sorry don't mean to go on and on, I'm just kind of thinking....anyways, I love u, tell Noelle I love her 2.

Anonymous said...

Love that blog... probably an especially good reminder for me at this goal setting time of year! I love your thoughts, your honesty and your perspective!! Thanks....

The Dinner Belle said...

Hey, I have Kelsey on tape if you really wanted to see it. :)

Sabra said...

Waiting for a new post!

Anonymous said...

lol, sorry I didn't call you that night, I called pratically half our ward, TOTALLY freaking out! That's funny that adrienne-I mean "Stster Hinton" has it on tape....because I do too!!!! You got that right--I am defenitely NOT like anyone else....I don't think that any other 16-year-old girl in America is obsessed with a proscecuting lawyer, and her show on CNN....ha! Whateva....I don't care, because I talked to her!!:) Anyways, I love ya, and see ya tommorrow-afternoon--lol:)